[Locallink] Please update this to run under Foxfire 1.5

Volker Kleinschmidt vkleinschmidt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 10:59:41 EST 2006

Michael,

I respectfully submit that the reason there were no other requests
about LocalLink is likely that it just worked, and worked beautifully,
easily, and behind the scenes, so people tended to forget about its
existence.

However, with Firefox 1.5 it no longer works. Worse, the global policy
to allow local links has also been removed, and people have to resort
again to manually editing a preferences file to turn on this
capability on a per-site basis. For somebody needing this option for a
lot of sites that gets incredibly tedious, but most people won't ever
even dare to make these manual edits.

I have read bugzilla-discussions about this topic until I fell over
with boredom, over and over again. The people making these decisions
may think about security, but not about people. The average browser
user is hopelessly overwhelmed at the mere mention of the word
Notepad. There is no way in this world (not even when hell is long
frozen over) that one can expect regular run-of-the-mill users to make
these edits in their prefs file or even via inspectors or other
convoluted interfaces. It is hard enough to get them to understand the
need to right-click. I would have thought I was breaking through open
doors with that comment, given that you wrote the extension in the
first place, but since you are talking about the CAPS system that
doesn't seem to be true after all.

I work in tech support for Blackboard, the large eLearning server
software provider, and our (and of course also our competitor's!)
users constantly run into the problem that they cannot access files on
the CDs they bought/received for their classes via the links provided
by their instructors or 3rd-party content developers. Content
developers tend to use IE, where this works, and links to local
content from remote sites are a fact of life that one cannot simply
discuss away. There is a need for this stuff, and your extension
beautifully fulfilled this need for average non-technical computer
users. I consider the existence of this extension one of the main
reasons to use Firefox over the complete Mozilla application suite.

So I and our users would really appreciate it if you would update this
to work with modern Firefox versions, and for the Mozilla suite as
well, if possible.

--Volker