[LibX] Image

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 06:07:02 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Klein, Stephen <SKlein at gc.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Thank you. I really appreciate the investigation.
>

> Also have the following questions concerning edition builder options:
>

> Edition Builder=>Options=>Provide Magic Search in Default Context Menu.
>
> The help states:
>
> If checked the default context menu will include the magic search option.
>

> Also, what do the following Options mean now that the button does not appear
> in Scholar:
>
> ·         Insert cues into the Google Scholar results page.
>
> ·         Disable all Google Scholar support.
>
> ·         URL to go to when Scholar search failed.
>
> ·         Don't show results page if Scholar heuristics failed.

This is all broken right now, unfortunately.

We haven't had time to fix it.

The two items on the list are:

a) On scholar.google.com, place an image to your OpenURL resolver if
Scholar provides an OpenURL (this needs to be ported from 1.5 to 2.0
Libapp)

b) Restore Magic Button for Firefox (Chrome still won't allow drag'n'drop).

> Also, independent of Scholar Options:
>
> Would this be my ILL URL:
>
> http://gc.cuny.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/illiad.dll/OpenURL

I think so.

Now - so far, this is used only in a LibApp we've created for Virginia
Tech, because we're a Summon library and integrate with the Summon
API. Using this API, there is extended information in the autolinking
tooltip for ISBNs etc. - we look the item up in our Summon instance
and then, if it's not there, offer an ILL link directly. That's why we
added this configuration option.

On the topic of Summon - there are over 40 LibX libraries that have
Summon, but aside from us no one seems to have set up the API service
required to use LibX with Summon [1]. That's unfortunate, since it
allows really cool services [2].

We're currently working on repurposing the public API they provide for
their widget service, which is setup less.  It's limited to 5 results,
though, and it's difficult to scrape (we'll probably just integrate
its results).

 - Godmar

[1] http://libx.lib.vt.edu/services/summon/
[2] http://libx.org/how-to-set-up-libx-with-the-summon-api/