[LibX] Silent deployment of the toolbar to Chrome.

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Tue May 8 06:50:52 PDT 2012

I don't follow.  None of the sources you mention talk about including the
appid in the manifest.json file of the extension. In fact,
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/manifest.html does not even
mention an appid as a valid key for a manifest.json file.

LibX 2.0's appid is ffkfoaiikoedjcjlpnnaidojhfchiafk which is all you
should need to know.

Also, when pushing updates to multiple machines, you'll need some way of
activating a particular edition.
It's not clear how this could work.  We're working on a service that checks
which campus a user is on and suggests editions associated with that campus
(hopefully deployed soon).  Till then, you'd need to either set the same
cookie that would be set had the user downloaded the plugin (see
http://libx.org/documentation/questions-and-answers/how-to-upgrade-from-libx-1-5-to-2-0/#Direct_Download_and_Activation_of_an_Edition
)
or you'd need to write to the localStorage facility associated with the
edition's background page (not clear how to do this using an automated
process).

 -= Godmar