[LibX] libxcore url + libapps

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 05:18:03 PDT 2012

You are really ahead of the pack, that's great!

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Grolimund Raphaël <
raphael.grolimund at epfl.ch> wrote:

>  Hi everyone,****
>
> ** **
>
> We try to develop a libapp to add to the core package of LibX, but I
> encounter two problems.****
>
> First, when going on the libxcore package url (
> http://libx.org/libx2/libapps/libxcore) I get an error (Not Found). Why?

I will fix that, but here's why. LibX actually looks for the feed at
http://libx.org/libx2/libapps
and then it'll find an entry "libxcore".

Only as a fallback does it look for http://libx.org/libx2/libapps/libxcore -
but, many other organizations using AtomPub (Microsoft, for instance),
support serving individual Atom entries.  We do too, except for the core
feed.  For instance, both

http://libx.org/libx2/libapps/libx.editions@gmail.com/developercore/103
and
http://libx.org/libx2/libapps/libx.editions@gmail.com/developercore

work (the former is just entry 103, the latter the entire feed). This
currently relies on some mod_rewrite/mod_wsgi magic that needs to be
extended to libapps/libxcore.

> ****
>
> My second question is about the way to test a libapp before submitting it
> in the feed : is it possible to use a custom url (like
> http://library.epfl.ch/libx/epfl-package) and add it to an edition for
> testing ? Or the url needs to be like http://libx.org/libx2/libapps/...
> to work?****
>
> **

No, LibX is entirely open - you can host feeds containing packages,
libapps, and modules anywhere. Just make sure it's a valid Atom feed - use
a validator such as http://validator.w3.org/appc/ - we have documentation,
too,
http://developers.libx.org/specifications/how-to-publish-packages-libapps-and-modules/

You'll be able to build them using the libapp builder (
libx.org/libappbuilder - so Sony, I've now given away the URL for the
Libapp builder - more pressure for you to finish your work!).  The current
status is that not everything works, but we're using it to actively
maintain the core feed. And you're welcome to give it a spin, too.

Lastly, one comment: you can't "add" to the "core" feed - the core feed is
maintained by us, and only we can add. That said, you can publish your own
feed, then you can:

- subscribe to it in your plug-in using the Preferences panel
- subscribe the users of an edition you maintain using the "Cues" tab
- suggest it to us for inclusion in the core feed so that all LibX editions
will get it.

Obviously, for security reasons, we don't allow 3rd parties to add things
to the core feed everybody gets - but of course, we're eager to include 3rd
party contributions that are safe and useful into this package!

BTW: a feed is simply a vehicle to carry packages, libapps, and modules,
each denoted by their own atom <id>.  Users subscribe to a package, not a
feed. (In this sense, it's a bit of a misnomer in that in traditional
Atom/RSS syndication, you subscribe to a feed rather than individual
entries in that feed.)