[LibX] LibX 2.0 update?

Brian Nicholson brn at vt.edu
Thu Mar 3 12:25:26 PST 2011

A clarification on package subscriptions:

Currently, we are working on two different LibX projects: the LibX client
itself (what I have sent out), and the LibX Libapp Builder (which we
presented at ER&L on Tuesday).  Eventually, the Libapp Builder will be made
public, and edition maintainers will be able to completely customize which
packages their editions subscribe to; further, they will be able to create
and include their own LibApps.

As of right now, however, the LibApp Builder is not public, and all editions
simply point to our demo feed.  This feed is a snapshot of what a customized
package might look like after using the LibApp Builder as we wanted to demo
a few customized LibApps.  A number of the more fine-grained LibApps (e.g.,
"Put Google Book results into Addison") are only added now for
demonstration.  The final LibX 2.0 package will not contain these LibApps,
unless the edition maintainer explicitly adds them (in which case they can
be made specific to that edition).

One more note: the Developer tab will only be around during the LibX 2.0
beta stage.  The official release will not have this option (or it will at
least be more hidden).

Brian