[LibX] Firefox libX and Gmail problem

Michael Price mprice at calpoly.edu
Mon May 24 12:24:10 PDT 2010

I can confirm these problems myself both on my work Mac OS X and home Vista
PC (thanks for the pointer). I use multiple browsers so had moved my gmail
away from Firefox rather taken time to learn the cause.

This started very recently... (I'm only using the latest version of gmail)

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Victoria Lin
<weilin at hulmail.harvard.edu>wrote:

>  Hi, over the weekend, a couple of our users reported problem with Firefox
> libx and Gmail, I was not able to replicate yet, I wonder if you have heard
> about it and have solutions.
>
> message 1.
> "Recently whenever I have had gmail open, Firefox slows down considerably,
> to a point where it is rather painful to use.  Through selectively disabling
> my add-ons, I discovered that this only happens when the LibX add-on is
> enabled..."
>
> message 2.
> "If I have a tab with Gmail in it and the LibX add-on enabled, firefox
> takes 20-50% of my CPU (40-100% of one hyperthreaded pseudo-CPU). If I
> disable LibX, or close the Gmail tab, or switch to the old version of Gmail,
> firefox's CPU usage goes down to 0% (bouncing occasionally to 5%).
> If I disable LibX autolinking and all other LibX features in its
> preferences window (but leave LibX itself enabled), Firefox takes 15-35% of
> my CPU, so it helps, but not enough. "
>
> thanks, Victoria
>

>  _________________________________
>
> Victoria Lin