[LibX] libx and google chrome

Brian Nicholson brn at vt.edu
Sat May 15 13:49:02 PDT 2010

With LibX for Google Chrome, we've been approaching the interface
differently.  Extensions for Google Chrome rely on separate pages
dynamically communicating with each other rather than maintaining a single
persistent view (such as the toolbar in Firefox).  We've designed a popup
that allows users to search, select links, and even change which edition
they're using.  We feel this design results in minimal clutter while
allowing users to have a single point of access for LibX.

We liked the design for Chrome, and we also want to share as much code as
possible among browsers, so we've been implementing LibX for Firefox in
virtually the same manner.  Firefox has some small problems not evident in
Google Chrome, but these problems have mostly been resolved.

Since this interface for LibX 2.0 is quite different, we've been planning on
releasing a prototype for users to try out so we can get feedback on the new
design.  LibX for Firefox and Chrome are closely tied together, so we'd like
to just release them at the same time to get input from users of both
browsers.  These prototypes are close to being ready--I anticipate that they
will be available sometime this week.

Brian