[LibX] LibX Prototype

Brian Nicholson brn at vt.edu
Tue Jul 20 14:09:30 PDT 2010

We do plan to keep the design where users will load their editions after the
plugin installation.  This design allows us to release a generic LibX plugin
that can be easily updated and distributed without having to build a new
plugin for each edition/browser whenever a change is made.

By "find the correct edition", do you mean that you are concerned about
users having to type in or locate the correct edition?  Remember that
editions can be automatically detected if users are at their editions'
pages; thus, you could simply give users a link to your edition's page for
them to go to after they install the plugin.  Eventually, we'll put this
generic LibX 2.0 installation link on each edition page.  You could then
just point users to your edition page and have them install LibX from a link
on that page, and after the installation, their edition will be auto-sensed
without any extra steps.

For anyone interested in clearing their edition and starting from scratch
(perhaps to test automatic edition loading), you can do the following:

Firefox:
- Type about:config in your location bar and press enter.  Take heed of the
warning, then click the button.
- In the Filter: box, enter "libx.edition.configurl" (without quotes).
 Right click the item that comes up, and select "Reset".
- Restart Firefox.

Chrome:
- Right click the LibX button and choose "Inspect popup".
- Enter "localStorage.clear()" (without quotes), and press Enter.
- Restart Chrome.

Brian