[LibX] bookmarklet idea

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Fri Jul 16 11:30:48 PDT 2010

I just had an idea, and I'm wondering if it's occured to anyone else.

LibX is a browser plugin, which needs a custom plugin wrapper for
every browser you want it to work in. Currently FF, IE sort of, maybe
some day Safari, maybe some day other browsers that accept plugins
(each one requires a buncha work, which is why they don't exist yet),
browsers without plugins out of luck.

But what if.... we provided a javascript 'bookmarklet' which, when the
user activated it, would actually load in all the Javascript neccesary
for LibX, and apply it to the page being viewed as appropriate for
existing LibX configuration.

It wouldn't be automatic like the plugin, the user would have to be
looking at a page and think "Gee, I bet the library thing can do
something for me here, let's click the button and find out". But it
could be made in just about any browser with sufficient Javascript
support for LibX, without the need to write a browser specific plugin
wrapper.  Some users might even prefer it for otherwise supported
browsers, not sure.

(iPhone Safari _does_ support javascript bookmarklets!  Although
getting them onto your iPhone Safari takes an iTunes sync).

Anyone thought of this before? What do you think?