[LibX] false AVG malware warning due to GacMeUp.exe

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 10:39:44 PST 2010

Short answer: this file is part of the LibX IE installer. It's a legitimate
file.
It registers LibX in the registry, specifically the "Global Assembly Cache"
- hence the acronym 'Gac'.

Virus software may reject that if it is configured to detect and prevent
writes to the registry. However, there is no other way to install LibX/IE
than to write to the registry. That's also why Administrator access is
required to install LibX/IE.

So, configure your antivirus software to allow registry accesses by
GacMeUp.exe when installing LibX/IE.

 - Godmar