[LibX] Libx & Windows 7/IE 8

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:48:58 PDT 2010

I tried it on my machine, and it doesn't work for me, either (Win7/64bit +
IE8).

We would need to rebuild LibX IE and debug this. It would be very time
consuming, something we don't have the time or inclination right now.  When
we embarked on porting LibX to IE, IE had 85% market share. Now it's under
40%, with decreasing tendency. Essentially, only people who haven't gotten
the message are still using it. I talked to a member of Microsoft Research
recently about their plans for an extensible version of IE to stem the slide
into insignificance, and all he could say was that the IE team is under
"great pressure."

My personal prediction is that IE will either die or catch up to modern
browsers and provide an extensibility architecture based on JavaScript and a
markup language (HTML). When this happens, we should be in a good position
to easily port LibX 2.0. But I really don't want to waste time and
productivity trying to chase down registry entries and the like, all of
which is undocumented.

 - Godmar