[LibX] New IE LibX toolbar release

Jacob Glenn jkglenn at umich.edu
Wed Sep 24 08:35:06 PDT 2008

The LibX "known bugs" page contains a reference to tabbed browsing in IE7,
but apparently this refers to something else. I can certainly submit a bug
report if needed but it does look like this is standard behavior for
toolbars in IE. I don't use IE regularly but I just installed Google Toolbar
and the UIUC library toolbar, and both exhibit this behavior (search options
are bound to the tab in which they were selected).

I think what makes it more annoying in LibX than it is in, say, Google
Toolbar is the way the search mode is presented in the UI. In Google Toolbar
this is indicated by a small icon which is inside the search box, so it
always takes up the same amount of space. If you switch tabs the icon will
change but all the UI elements stay in the same position. In LibX the width
of the search box varies depending on which catalog and search options are
selected, so if you have different catalogs selected in different tabs then
the search box "jumps" to a different width when you switch tabs. The effect
is a bit jarring.

I can live with it though - just my 2¢.

Jake