[LibX] LibX and Encore on Amazon

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 13:56:53 PDT 2008

1. If you're using a bookmarklet as your primary catalog, it'll only
support searching by keyword (code "Y")

2. Amazon linking, right now, requires searching by ISBN (code 'i')

3. Encore doesn't support it if you type in an ISBN in the search box,
see http://discover.lib.msu.edu/iii/encore/search/C|S006073132X|Orightresult|U1?lang=eng&suite=def
As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, there's no way at all to
search by ISBN in this great new discovery system (III librarians -
please correct me)

4. I thought what if I change the amazon cue to search by keyword
instead. Encore also does a poor job at searching by that. For
instance,
http://discover.lib.msu.edu/iii/encore/search/C|SFreakonomics%2B%253A%2Ba%2Brogue%2Beconomist%2Bexplores%2Bthe%2Bhidden%2Bside%2Bof%2Beverything|Orightresult|U1?lang=eng&suite=def
doesn't deliver any hits even though you own the book.  What good is a
discovery system if it fails on a known item search?

Other thoughts are welcome.

 - Godmar