[LibX] broken embedded cues in Amazon.com

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Tue May 27 09:28:19 PDT 2008

Two comments:

First, there will always be an ongoing need to update. Such is the
nature of open source software that is supported by users. You "pay"
for LibX with your contribution to the testing and maintenance effort.
Developing software is expensive, and over 80% of the effort lies in
maintenance. In the open source model, these expenses are shared
between developers and users.

Second, as I pointed out, we share your concern and are close to
deploying a technological solution. From a technology point of view,
unfortunately, the cues aren't "basic stuff" --- they fundamentally
depend on decisions beyond our control. Amazon controls their website,
they can change it at their whim. We must follow. The existing web
technology does not allow for a robust way of interacting with their
site. This may change in the future if the so-called semantic web
arrives, but for now, we have to adjust whenever some engineer at
Amazon decides on a style change or code cleanup (as was the case
here; internally, the amazon.com site is a huge mess.)

 - Godmar