[LibX] More WorldCat - forcing location in link

A.Rust at neu.edu A.Rust at neu.edu
Thu May 22 07:21:34 PDT 2008

Hello, all.  Following this email discussion, I can note that we'd also
appreciate the additional, explicit WorldCat support.  We're also running
into another question I thought I'd throw out here.

 We're trying to find a way to "force" a location in WorldCat searches,
either through creating an affiliate account or somehow adding a
"loc=zipcode" to our initial search string.  (We started with contacting
OCLC support about this because it seems more an WorldCat linking question
rather than LibX bookmarklet question, but perhaps someone here has an
easy answer.)  Here's the backstory:

We've taken the following format from the excellent LibX edition builder:
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=%Y+ti%3A%t+au%3A%a+kw%3A%i&qt=advanced

For an example query built via that format, try:
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=margaret%20atwood+ti%3A+au%3A+kw%3A&qt=advanced

This provides a wonderful list of results, but once I enter the individual
record screen, WorldCat uses my IP address to determine which libraries
are closest.  As it should.  Unfortunately our library's outgoing IP
servers seem to be 20 miles to the north of us.  So I've been hoping that
there's some way to stick a location onto the search string.  I know that,
for individual titles, the following works:
http://worldcat.org/isbn/006073132X&loc=90101

So I've tried sticking &loc=02115 at the end of the query string.  No
luck, although perhaps I'm not using the correct syntax.  Has anyone else
run into this problem?  And perhaps a solution?  Again, to clarify: we're
not having problems setting up the Open WorldCat search, just in adding a
specific location to the WorldCat search.  I tried looking through the
published LibX editions, but didn't see much that looked applicable.
Hopefully I missed something.

It's also entirely possible that I'm asking ignorant questions -- I'm
entirely new to the world of LibX and bookmarklets.

Thanks in advance,
Amanda

Amanda Rust
Research & Instruction Librarian