[LibX] assessment and libx priorities

Leonard, Kirsten A. kaleonar at iuk.edu
Thu Jun 12 10:50:48 PDT 2008

I think I've not done a good job of explaining the purpose.  There isn't any set number or level that justifies the project, it's more that there is a culture that it is not sufficient to innovate but we must also show that our users are positively impacted by our innovation.  This is not limited to our institution, but any institution going through re-accreditation right now, but it is not required for every single product or service.  I agree completely that downloads are not a sufficient measure of impact alone.  The one area that Godmar mentioned that really got me excited in particular was the ability to count the retention and on-going usage of the extension, which I think is more useful.

I will certainly explore some of the options suggested for gathering data ourselves and I appreciate everyone's help, but a few of the better ones aren't open to us hence my interest in what Godmar had suggested as possibilties.  For example, we just moved from SFX to Serials Solutions which unfortunately does not give stats by SID and we can't get OpenURL statistics from our ILL form.

The ability to provide usage statistics is a priority for many library products and services, and becoming more so - for example the strong interest in the COUNTER standard and various products such as Scholarly Stats to record database usage, so I wouldn't like to see usage considered unimportant or just a local concern.  I do get your point about supporting innovation and development first but reviewing what has been accomplished is also useful to fuel more innovation.  I plan to do some small user studies to see how people are using the toolbar, what features they particularly like, and what features they would want to see in future versions of the toolbar.

--Kirsten

Kirsten Leonard
Electronic Resources/Government Documents Librarian
Assistant Director of Institutional Research
Indiana University Kokomo Library, KA140B
2300 South Washington St.
Kokomo, IN 46904-9003
kaleonar at iuk.edu
(765)455-9346