[LibX] ILL support

Belvadi, Melissa mbelvadi at maryville.edu
Thu Jun 12 10:23:07 PDT 2008

We use ILLiad, and we have its openurl-compliant capability linked
through our openurl server results. I wouldn't want to have patrons go
straight to ILLiad through some other link and bypass the openurl
server, for a few reasons. The first is of course inappropriate requests
for things we actually own. The second is that I don't believe ILLiad
supports lookups for things like DOI and PMID, as our openurl server
does, so the user needs the openurl server to handle fetching the proper
complete citation for ILLiad. The third is that the openurl server
offers other options that might serve the patron better than waiting for
the ILL request to complete (eg. links to other area openurl servers
where they might have borrowing/online privileges) which they wouldn't
see if they went straight to the ILLiad request form.

Melissa Belvadi
Systems and Services Librarian
Maryville University
650 Maryville University Dr.