[LibX] LibX assessment?

Selden Deemer libssd at emory.edu
Wed Jun 11 18:01:08 PDT 2008

> My library is all about evidence-based practice.  So, while I love
> LibX and
> use it almost every day, this alone isn't enough to justify making it
> available to our users.  It might be argued that it can't hurt to
> provide
> users with the option of installing the extension, and that LibX
> doesn't
> require much work on the part of the library.  I'd agree with both
> of those
> statements.  Nevertheless, I would like to have some ideas as to how
> I can
> assess the utility, effectiveness, etc. of our library's version of
> LibX
> _before_ our library publicizes the extension to our users.
>
> Has anyone conducted any type of assessment of the take-up,
> retention, use,
> etc. of their instance of LibX?  If so, what have you done?

Not sure how relevant this is, but SFX Query #2 identifies requests
and clickthroughs per source. Here are the numbers Sept-May for the
LibX sid:
		     	   Requests Clickthroughs  %
info:sid/libx:emory		393	197	50.13%
info:sid/libx:emory		349	162	46.42%
info:sid/libx:emory		429	178	41.49%
info:sid/libx:emory		310	96	30.97%
info:sid/libx:emory		310	151	48.71%
info:sid/libx:emory		393	221	56.23%
info:sid/libx:emory		576	320	55.56%
info:sid/libx:emory		849	475	55.95%
info:sid/libx:emory		284	137	48.24%

For context, here are the sources that generated more requests
than LibX in April 2008:

April
info:sid/sfx:e_collection	47,341	38,168	80.62%
info:sid/Entrez:PubMed		22,212	16,167	72.78%
info:sid/google			12,376	10,401	84.04%
info:sid/OVID:medline		11,475	8,368	72.92%
info:sid/OVID:psycdb		5,149	3,396	65.95%
info:sid/www.isinet.com:WoK:WOS	4,924	3,962	80.46%
info:sid/www.isinet.com:WoK:UA	1,556	1,179	75.77%
info:sid/sfxit.com:azlist	1,267	1,208	95.34%
info:sid/OVID:nursing		1,220	763	62.54%
info:sid/OVID:ovftdb		1,161	840	72.35%
info:sid/EBSCO:a9h		1,155	828	71.69%
info:sid/EBSCO:rfh		958	449	46.87%
info:sid/EBSCO:mzh		871	472	54.19%
info:sid/libx:emory		849	475	55.95%

(165 other sources generated lower numbers in April)

LibX appears to be used to drive a small, but significant amount
of OpenURL traffic to SFX. Those who "get it" really like it.
Support effort has been minimal.

Selden Deemer, Library Systems Administrator
Emory University Libraries
Atlanta, Georgia
EMAIL: 	libssd at emory.edu
PHONE: 	404-727-0271