[LibX] interface for LibX log excerpt extraction

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 08:14:55 PDT 2008

When a user has LibX installed, Firefox will - as it does for all
extensions - periodically poll for updates. This polling mechanism
relies on a file called update.rdf.  Such accesses will appear in the
log as accesses to update.rdf. LibX IE uses the same file.

These accesses may give an indication of how many users retain LibX
after they install it (provided that their computer is on and Firefox
is running, which is required for Firefox to do the polling.) The
typical shortcomings of log analysis apply, such as the issue of
multiple installations behind a single IP, roaming IPs, etc.

 - Godmar