[LibX] Building of IE support; default context entries; prod for SeaMonkey support

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:15:13 PDT 2007

On 9/12/07, Richard Karnesky <karnesky at northwestern.edu> wrote:
> I used the online extension builder to build an edition for IE.  Minimal
> testing suggests that it works well.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to build the extension from a CVS checkout more
> easily.
>
> A cosmetic issue: can 'xcreateextension.pl' be modified so that there
> isn't a static link to '/opt/nsis-2.28/Bin/makensis'?  Perhaps just by
> checking the path before it falls back?

If you're building an IE installer, you'll have to adjust
xcreateextension.pl anyway to tell it where your makensis is located.
There's only one location in xcreateextension.pl you have to change.
We could move it to the beginning of the file maybe?

> There is no LibXIE subdirectory in 'src/editions'.  At minimum, can the
> online documentation be updated to provide links to the needed DLLs?
> Eventually, having the source to these would be nice.

You can pull them from http://libx.org/libx/src/editions/LibXIE/
Once I'm able to build the dlls from the source myself I'll put a
source snapshot out. I'm currently trying to acquire the necessary
skills (*).

> ***
>
> Are there plans to modify the 'config.xml' file so that the default
> context search terms can be modified?  Changing 'defaultprefs.xml'
> works, but isn't ideal.

defaultprefs.xml was a bit of a stop gap solution - once we'd come up
with a way to save preferences, we needed something to seed it.
Eventually, we'll probably want to integrate that into the edition
builder somehow. One option could be to have a checkbox for each
option that says "include in context menu by default"

> ***
>
> I had submitted (some time ago) a patch to make LibX work under Mozilla
> SeaMonkey.  Will this ever get checked in?

I do remember that and have that patch somewhere. My recollection is a
bit fuzzy. I recall that the patch suggested to build the .js file in
a .jar file, which I opposed on the grounds that it would make
development harder.  Has this issue been addressed?

Also, we have to ask ourselves if we want to support seamonkey
(whatever that is.) It's difficult enough to support the myriads of
Firefox versions and now IE. We have to use our limited resources
wisely. If I look at
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0 I don't see it.
(Is it the 0.11% labeled Mozilla?)  - Something to consider.

 - Godmar

(*) But Windows doesn't make it easy.  Today I encountered this error msg:
http://www.intelliot.com/blog/archives/2006/02/28/more-help-is-available-by-typing-net-helpmsg-3534/