[LibX] how to share databases in LibX, and how to use POST in custom catalogs

Nathan Baker nathanb at vt.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:22:01 PDT 2007

It is possible to put icons in the status bar, at least in IE7 (IE7Pro
does this). We're not sure how easy it is, but I doubt it's anywhere
near as easy as in Firefox. There is a post on Microsoft's forums asking
how to do it, but there have been no replies (the thread is at
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2209985&SiteID=1,
though either IIS or their software apparently sends a broken[1]
response code and Firefox can't display the page).

In my opinion, any failure in extensibility on IE's part should not
hamper our creativity. While we would like to make IE and Firefox
similar, if we can add a cool feature that improves the user experience
but only works on Firefox, well, wouldn't it be silly not to add that
feature?

Nathan

[1] I am being charitable and assuming that it is unintentionally broken
instead of maliciously designed to prevent Firefox users from viewing
the MSDN forums. Konqueror can display the page.