[LibX] i18n support?

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:44:05 PDT 2007

On 5/14/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> It's great to see the renewed activity on the LibX project.
> Congratulations on securing another round of funding!

There's no other round of funding. We have a 2-year grant from IMLS.
Activity in libx has been steady, look at the dates at
http://libx.org/editionsintesting.php

> I had sent some small patches back at the end of 2006 to improve i18n
> support in LibX, focused largely on libx.xul and definitions.dtd.
> Using those, plus some small changes to the Mozilla extension
> packaging, I was also able to build a proof-of-concept LibX toolbar at
> the time demonstrating the ability to switch dynamically between
> English and French support. We have avoided rolling out LibX at our
> institution to date because bilingual solutions are required.
>
> Is there any chance that these changes will be rolled into LibX and
> coding standards set to allow easy integration of i18n support, or
> should I simply start offering i18n patches that track LibX
> development but which have to be made available outside of the LibX
> project? I have to believe that there are many institutions that speak
> languages other than English that would be interested in deploying the
> LibX toolbar.

You're hitting a sore point - we of course would like to have i18n
support in LibX. The only reason we don't have it is because we
haven't made it a priority, and because so far most of our base is
English-only.

A secondary reason is that we're developing the IE edition as well.
Until this is done, things may change in various ways - we may adopt
Firefox's i18n standards, or use a system of our own. We build the
edition maker, which would need to support i18n as well.

I'm a bit at a loss of what to recommend. The best thing may to look
at where things stand, codewise, once the IE version rolls out into
open source land. Then decide on what the best strategy to
internationalize is, and then just do it. Right now, we don't have the
resources to do it.

I feel very bad about moving your very welcome contribution so onto
the back burner, but I don't have any better strategy at the moment.