[LibX] Update on LibX development

LibX Project libx.org at gmail.com
Mon May 14 08:47:32 PDT 2007

I'd like to give a brief update on the LibX development. First, a
preview of what's to come, and second, a reminder of what's new in the
already available base.

As you know, we received a grant from IMLS to continue work on LibX.
As part of this grant-funded development, we will roll out later this
summer our web interface that allows you to create and maintain your
own editions by yourself. We will import all existing editions into
this interface. As an incentive to use the new system, we will also
roll out our initial LibX for IE prototype. The IE version will be
built from the same configuration file, which can then be maintained
through the edition builder interface.  Our goal is to have all of
this in place so that there's enough time for it to be debugged and
ready such that libraries who'd like to offer these tools before the
new academic year starts can do so.

Second, as far as what's already there: LibX is being developed at a
quick pace. Bugs are continuously being fixed, and new features are
added. Currently, the only way to pick up those fixes is by requesting
that a new test edition be built. You test this edition, and if it
works satisfactory, it can be pushed as an update to your users
(provided your edition is "live.") I'm going to send three separate,
but brief emails discussing three issues in this context.

As always, we like to hear from you: what's working, what should be
improved, what's broken. Send us email, or use this list for
discussions that may be of general interest.

 - Godmar for the LibX Team