[LibX] LibX Usage Statistics

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:25:00 PDT 2007

To my knowledge, Google Analytics is designed to collect statistics
for webpages by forcing a user visiting a webpage to also send a
request to google so that Google can record the hit. As such, it is
not directly applicable to LibX in my view.

We could, optionally, include a feature in LibX that would force a
request to be sent to Google whenever the user uses LibX. For
instance, we could define "pseudo-pages" for each of LibX's catalogs,
and record "pseudo-hits" for those pages when the user searches. We
will probably look at this in more detail later this year, or
brainstorm and explore other approaches. Thoughts are welcome.

There are some, albeit limited, options that you can explore right
now. For instance, if your OpenURL resolver collects statistics by sid
(origin), you can find LibX-originated requests by looking for the sid
you chose in your configuration file. Similarly, some catalogs are
reported to support a similar mechanism - I believe Aleph's has a
"sourceid" and Horizon/iPac provides you with full access to your logs
so you can look for the "sid=" LibX optionally places in there.

Other vendors have decided to offer only closed systems, notably III
Millennium. These systems do not provide a way to distinguish requests
coming from LibX from others, excluding the option of collecting
statistics.

 - Godmar