[LibX] Error from xcreateextension.pl

Nathan Baker nathanb at vt.edu
Tue Jul 10 08:46:03 PDT 2007

Hi Wade,

My guess based on the path in the error message is that you are running
xcreateextension.pl under Windows using a perl interpreter like
ActivePerl and either cygwyn or mingw to get the GNU/UNIX tools like rm,
cp, find, etc.

I am impressed that you got this far with xcreateextension.pl under
Windows. However, the script still contains some UNIX-specific hacks,
such as line 221, where it uses the ; operator to chain several commands
together--a staple of the UNIX command-line. Windows doesn't support
this operator on its command line, which is where the error in rm comes
from (it parses the -name from the find command and interprets it as
-n). Since this command line actually creates the .xpi by selectively
removing things we don't want bundled and then zipping the rest of the
stuff up, it dies on the next line because there is no .xpi file to chmod.

For the moment you can hack the xcreateextension.pl file to execute each
of those commands concatenated in system() to be a separate command (or
you could run the script under UNIX--your call). Be aware that the
output of find is piped into xargs with an absolute path pointing to
/bin/rm, so you might have to change that as well to point to wherever
your rm is located (maybe something like d:/bin/rm on your filesystem).

Good luck,
Nathan