[LibX] LibX question from a faculty member

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:36:54 PST 2006

Abigail,

I suppose the question is whether these interfaces are publically
documented or easy to reverse engineer.

In the "SFX prechecks Aleph" case, the interface is probably Z39.50.
In my judgement, this would have to be AJAXed, or else it would slow
down your SFX server's response by a lot. Do you have an example live
SFX server that shows this?
I haven't seen any SFX servers do such prechecks, though I too have
heard of that feature. (*)

In the "Scopus checks SFX" case, I'd be curious to know what interface
is being used. Do you have more information about it?

 - Godmar

(*) As an aside, this may be a good opportunity to pitch an AJAX
library we've been developing to access III Millennium systems from
such pages as SFX (assuming your library uses III+SFX). Majax doesn't
require any Z39.50 or other support; it relies on screen scraping your
MARC record pages. See http://libx.org/majax/ for more information.