[LibX] LibX question from a faculty member

Bordeaux, Abigail bordeaux at binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 27 12:50:22 PST 2006

This sort of functionality is out there in the following ways that I
know of:

1) A link resolver (e.g. SFX) pre-checks the catalog before deciding
whether or not to display a link.  There is a Z39 plug in you can set up
for SFX to do this and separate plug in just for the Aleph catalog if
you have that.  Links on the menu display only if there's a match on
ISSN or ISBN.  (We show a static link to the catalog in cases where no
ISSN or ISBN is passed from the source database.)

2) A database communicates with a link resolver to see whether full text
is available, then displays a "Full Text" icon if it is.  Scopus has
this functionality and I've attached a screen shot to demonstrate.  It
shows our SFX button plus a full text button--both go to our SFX menu.
(Not sure if the list allows attachments, so if you don't see it feel
free to contact me.)  The important point here is that it's Scopus
functionality--it's not something SFX does by itself.

Abigail

Abigail Bordeaux
Coordinator of Digital Library Initiatives
Binghamton University Libraries
PO Box 6012 | Vestal Parkway E.
Binghamton, NY  13902-6012
607.777.3217 | bordeaux at binghamton.edu