[LibX] LibX question from a faculty member

Phil Shirley pshirley at CuyahogaFallsLibrary.org
Mon Nov 27 13:12:06 PST 2006

I'd like to see a feature like this for my selectors, if it could be
made to work on one or more web sites they were interested in checking
against our catalog.  For instance, given a web site that listed
recommended or award-winning titles, it would be nice to be able to scan
that web page quickly and see which titles the library didn't have, and
it would be really nice to get further details on mouseover (maybe the
number of items and their statuses).

III sells an XML server as an add-on product, but I don't know if many
libraries would find it worth the price.  I don't know the price, but we
might consider it if it made things much faster for our selectors.  Many
libraries allow you to search their catalog by Z39.50, but there may be
reasons not to use that (it wouldn't work in my fantasy of getting item
information because I believe Z39.50 typically doesn't return item info).

Phil