[LibX] LibX question from a faculty member

Godmar Back godmar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 12:45:12 PST 2006

LibX does not support that right now.

Technologically, it is possible. Some other extensions do it [1].
We've been weighing the pros and cons.

Pros:
- well, you'd know if the book is there right away.

Cons:
- user leaves a trail of their visits to Amazon with your library (all
book pages they visit are checked), possibly violating their privacy
-> could be fixed via opt-in approach.

- slightly higher load on library server (modern systems on up-to-date
hardware should be able to handle this load)

- there's no standard interface to query a catalog for availability
for most catalog types, III Millennium included -> screen-scraping
might be required. Some catalogs, however, provide XML-based
interfaces that make this task more manageable.

My guess is we'll do it at some point, unless somebody contributes
something earlier (that is maintainable - there's no point in pulling
in your customized library lookup script.) As we built the IE version,
we're making some architectural changes that will hopefully facilitate
such features also.

 - Godmar

[1] http://www.mozdev.org/pipermail/libx/2006-April/000005.html