[LibX] libx -- serials solution issue

LibX Project libx.org at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:06:46 EDT 2006

Kevin,

your email raises a number of questions, some of them with respect to
OpenURL in general, some of them specific to SerialsSolutions's
implementation of OpenURL, some of them with respect to SS and LibX,
and some of them specific to the Radford University Edition of LibX.

Let me start with the OpenURL questions. The OpenURL standard is
intended to solve many, if not most, of the issues you raised. In
other words, it should always be possible for you to display the link
resolver icon at any web location, such as a database results page,
from where you want to point the user at an appropriate resource (full
text, catalog, or ILL link). A properly implemented OpenURL resolver
will recognize that the user is looking for a book and display the
appropriate link or links (catalog and/or ILL.) The OpenURL standard
has the necessary provisions for that (in v0.1, for instance, there is
a genre=book setting and the fields isbn= and title= are supported,
making it clear to the OpenURL resolver that the item being referenced
is a book.)

This is how it should work, but not all OpenURL resolvers provide the
functionality to properly handle these genre book OpenURLs.  It is not
difficult to implement. From my experience, most SFX installations
usually do them right; WebBridge can be set up to do them right, but
with Serials Solutions you're (almost) entirely bound by what Serials
Solutions decides to display.

As of right now, it appears that SS throws users into a "journal list"
display if one submits an OpenURL with genre=book and an ISBN. Try,
for instance, http://gw5kw3uf8g.search.serialssolutions.com/?isbn=006073132X&genre=book

This is most certainly a bug and should be reported to Serials
Solutions. Incidentally, I recall a different behavior just a few
months ago.

Interestingly, SS operates differently if one also specifies a book
title. Try this URL:
http://gw5kw3uf8g.search.serialssolutions.com/?isbn=006073132X&title=freakonomics&genre=book

Now SS recognizes that this is a request for a book and - despite the
fact that the OpenURL contains enough information to easily locate the
book - says:
---
Sorry, no holdings were found for this book.

Please see additional options below for finding this book.
---
This is where LibX comes in. When you look at that URL using a LibX
edition that includes the current version of the SS fixes, you will
find a cue that says:
----
LibX Enhancement: Search McConnell Library for ISBN 006073132X
---

The current Radford edition is from Feb 2 and does not include that
functionality (or it doesn't work any longer), so to reproduce this
you must install your current test edition, available at:
http://libx.org/libx/src/editions/libxtestedition.php?edition=ru  (*)

To be precise, LibX uses the following algorithm when deciding whether
to place that cue:
IF the current domain is serialssolutions.com AND the URL contains an
isbn= part, AND the webpage displayed by SS contains  "No direct links
were found" OR "We do not have enough information" OR it contains a
HTML tag with a CSS style named "SS_NoResults" (which is the style
they give their "Sorry, no holdings were found..." message), THEN
include that cue.  If any of the conditions is not true, LibX will be
silent. In particular, you're not going to see the cue if Serials
Solutions throws you into the journal list page.

I hope that answers your questions. In general, we consider these
issues really minor improvements where LibX can patch a vendor's page.
Independent of that, you should press Serials Solutions to finally
properly handle genre=book URLs so it is on par with its competition.
This would benefit all users.

 - Godmar

(*) If you like that edition, we can push a silent update - meaning
the update requires users to visit the installation page and reinstall
- and hopefully, 1.0.3 is just around the corner (knock on wood) so
the fixes will be pushed to all RU edition users via Firefox's
automatic update mechanism.