[LibX] Re: Multiple options (indexes) for type=bookmarklet

Richard Karnesky karnesky at northwestern.edu
Fri Aug 18 23:38:01 EDT 2006

> What would you like us to do with a
> rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:dissertation - and is it something
> that our adopter and user base would have access to?
It is a valid format according to the COinS spec., as well as the
OpenURL 1.0 spec.  I think that any bit of COinS should just be handed
off to the OpenURL provider, regardless of the format.

However, the COinS page points out:
"First of all, 0.1 [OpenURL resolver] systems will only understand book
and journal article links- in version 1.0, these openURLs use the
journal and book metadata formats:
rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:journal
rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:book
Activating agents will need to skip other metadata formats (patents,
dissertations, Dublin Core links and other formats which may become
popular in the future) for 0.1-only resolver systems."

I think LibX should at least detect and show _ANY_ span with a
class=z3988 & be able to _try_ to submit it to the OpenURL resolver.
1.0 resolvers may know what to do with it.  I don't know if it would be
appropriate or not to pretend that a 'dissertation' is a 'book' for 0.1
resolvers who wouldn't know what to do with a 'dissertation' format.

--Rick