[LibX] More search options

LibX Project libx.org at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:42:03 EDT 2006

Gerald,

If you have the source, you can add an option to the XUL file, you
have to assign a new search type (check out the *opac.js files for the
ones that are already used), and you'll have to implement that type in
the "makeSearch" method in the different catalog objects. Since we
implemented millenium first, the search types are named according to
the abbreviations III uses ('i' for ISBN/ISSN, 'a' for author, etc.)
This requires Javascript/XUL coding and is not a configuration option.

Our general philosophy so far has been to keep the drop-down
intentionally simple and refer the user to the library catalog page if
they have more advanced search needs (you'd place a link for that in
the drop-down toolbar), but we can certainly be convinced otherwise.
Ultimately, we don't want to compete with the library's search page
for infrequent tasks.

For some catalogs - some sirsi versions, which we now support
experimentally, the 5 options are already too many in that a call
number/isbn/issn search looks identical to a keyword search.

 - Godmar