[LibX] poll: more aggressive AJAX?

LibX Project libx.org at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 01:39:21 EDT 2006

So far, we followed the principle in LibX that we do not initiate a
search against a library catalog without explicit input from the user.
That input must come in form of a mouse click, or drag-n-drop, or
pressing enter.

An alternative approach is to be more aggressive, and perform lookups
without explicit consent. For instance, on book vendor sites, we could
not only place a link for the user to find the book, but we could look
into the catalog and see if the book is available and display the
result, in the style of some library lookup scripts. (An example
screenshot is here: http://blogs.open.ac.uk/Maths/ajh59/006028.html ).

Is this a feature that people would welcome, or feel skeptical about?
We would probably have to offer a user-specific customization option
to turn it off, so people don't leave a trail of their amazon browsing
activity in their library's logs.