[Jslib] File permissions

Pete Collins pete at mozdevgroup.com
Thu Feb 17 20:30:22 EST 2005

Jean-Denis Girard wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> > Why is the exe file in the jar archive?
> >
> > You can use xpinstall to install it wherever you want ...
>
> I have read that Extension Manager cannot install anywhere. Quoting
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/extensions/packaging/extensions.html
>
> "There is now no way of placing files outside of the file structure
> mandated above during the install process. If you need to modify files
> elsewhere, you'll have to do it the first time your extension code runs"
>
> So now I'm confused.
> Did I miss something? Or maybe I shoud not use Extension Manager?

Yes, it's called xpinstall, you can install what you want where you want.

The extension manager is really just for extensions, xpinstall is for
more robust types of Moz apps or for more install flexibility. So for
what you need, I would recommend using XP Install directly.

Here are some docs ...

http://web.archive.org/web/20031202235603/http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2001/xpinstall/1.0/