[Jslib] Problem with two extensions including JSLIB

Sudhakar Chandra thaths at openscroll.org
Mon Nov 22 18:28:40 EST 2004

Pete Collins wrote:
> Henrik Gemal wrote:
>> Two extensions are including JSLib inside the extension itself so that
>> people dont have to install JSLib first and the afterwards install the
>> extension.
> This is bad. A big "no no".

I am afraid I am doing this with my extension.

> I actually documented this:
>
>  http://jslib.mozdev.org/docs.html#install
>
> You can install as many xpi's in a single install session as you wish.
>
> For example go to clock.mozdev.org and install it. You will see that
> jslib is installed with it by default.

While I understand your reasoning for not wanting developers to bundle
JSLib inside their extensions, my problem with not bundling JSLib inside
my application is as follows:

1. Anything that complicates the user's install process means fewer
users of my extension.

2. What if I had to hack JSLIb to work just-right for my extension and
if this hack is incompatible with other users of JSLib?

3. The whole updates.mozilla.org nightmare. I have no control over the
HTML of the page listing my extension.

4. What about Firefox?

Thaths
--
"If I could just say a few words... I'd be a better public speaker."
                         -- Homer J. Simpson