[Jslib] example code that doesn't work for me...

Wingnut wingnut at winternet.com
Tue Sep 23 10:13:43 EDT 2003

Well done, stknight!  (And you too, Pete!)  The privilege manager
security loosening is a definite GOTTA apparently, at least on my W2k
Moz 1.5b SVG.

Note:  "c:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\generated.slt\chrome\" is not the correct
path to jslib on my W2k.  My xpi-install of jslib appears to have landed
at...

C:\Documents and Settings\Wingnut\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Wingnut\yp8au0ow.slt\chrome

Of course, w2k has all that fancy admin stuff, and I'm an admin-grade
user on it, so... its just a whole lot of unnecessary security layers
and crap that I don't really understand.

All I know, is that stknight's example got me past a huge hurdle, and in
  my opinion, his message and demo code should be made available in
jslib docs.

Lastly, does jslib really "just" wrap xpcom components?  If so, I don't
think its going to solve my problem of getting xpcom to read a so-called
NTFS unicode file like Marias_u.tdb found in
http://www.winternet.com/~wingnut/html/test/localfile_readers/.

Wanna try?  Take both Marias test text files and ns_read18_u.htm from
that dir and put them into a local folder.  Adjust filepaths in the JS
and go for it.  available() is wrong too, showing the unicode Marias
file to be twice the number of available bytes as the 8 bit version....
cuz it knows-not that its a unicode (16 bit byte) file if there is such
a thing.

I probably should have tested to see if jslib could do it before I
posted this.... but I was excited that I (stknight) finally got jslib
awakened.  Am I in for disappointment in getting jslib to .read that
file?  :)  Anyone got advice?  I sure would appreciate anything!

Ok, off to torture jslib.  Thanks again, gang!

Wingnut
Minneapolis