[Jslib] Magic number in socket.js?

Pete Collins pete at mozdev.org
Tue Sep 16 11:24:34 EDT 2003

Charles Melhorn wrote:
> Stephen Knight wrote:
>
>> Ok.  That answers that question (I'll have to study that chapter to
>> see how one is supposed to find out a conanical).
>>

>>> Do note, the socket.js is very old, untouched for years and very
>>> broken..
>>

>> so I've noticed.  ;)  The last reference I've come across is Eric
>> Murphy talking about updating socket.js "in a couple of weeks"...two
>> years ago.
>>
>> I don't think I'm doing too badly.  I now have it:
>> . opening a connection
>> . writing data to the socket
>> . reading some data (if binary then javascript nails any data after
>> the null, I have to study the javascript api to see if there's a
>> workaround)
>> . reading text but it's always one message behind (some sort of
>> buffering/timing, I'm not using asynch routines yet).
>>
>> I'm mainly stumbling around trying to figure out the necessary
>> arguments to:
>> openInputStream and openOutputStream.
>>
>> I'm not too sure if the transport is fully upto spec:
>> . isAlive doesn't seem to work correctly (the target says the
>> connection is alive but isAlive denies it).
>>
>> I'm about to "study" Murphy's CBSConnection class (which means I'll
>> probably start stripping it for parts).
>

> You may find something useful in my version of socket.js, which
> I cobbled together from the JsLib file and from the version used
> in Chatzilla. It's not as polished, generalized, or commented as
> it should be, and has only been tested with Mozilla 1.2 and 1.3;
> however, I did consult with both Rob Ginda (Chatzilla author) and
> Darin Fisher (primary necko developer) as I was developing it.
>
> http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/dertandembrowser/source/content/dtbSocket.js?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>

> You can see how it's called (from the connectButtonHandler() routine)
> here:
>
> http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/dertandembrowser/source/content/dtbNavOverlay.js?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>

> Note that my socket class uses only asychronous routines, as the
> synchronous calls weren't working with Moz 1.2/1.3.
>
> Charles

Thanks Charles!

Since socket.js is *so* old and horribly broken, how about we use
Charles code as a starting point.

The motto here is "if it works, check it in"  :-)

Steve, I know you are wokring on socket stuff. What are your thoughts?

Charles, is it cool if we swiped this code for jslib?

Pete Collins
www.mozdev.org