[Jslib] Magic number in socket.js?

Pete Collins pete at mozdev.org
Wed Sep 10 17:03:55 EDT 2003

Stephen Knight wrote:
> Greetings,
>   I'm currently flailing my way thru "socket.js" and I was wondering
> where the "magic number" "c07e81e0-ef12-11d2-92b6-00105a1b0d64" came from?

That's the class ID.

It is a conanical unique identifier for an implementation class.

An example of a contractID wourld be:

    @mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1

These are all unique component class identifiers and all part of XPCOM.

   http://books.mozdev.org/html/mozilla-chp-8.html

Do note, the socket.js is very old, untouched for years and very broken..

If you get it going again, remember, we will take your contributions.  :-)

--pete

>   It's specifically used in "function Socket()" with:
>
>     var sockServiceClass =
> Components.classesByID["{c07e81e0-ef12-11d2-92b6-00105a1b0d64}"];
>
> I've tried searching XULPlanet and other places (it was used in Eric
> Murphy's 18 Aug 2001 message,
> http://www.mozdev.org/mailarchives/jslib/2001-August/000756.html) but it
> just seems to "appear".
>
> Since the "magic" still seems to work after two years it would seem
> pretty stable but....where would I go if it stopped?
>
> thank you for your time.
>
> ---
> Steve Knight
> Ultralife Batteries, Inc.