[Jslib] Basic question on use/installation of JSLIB

Stephen Knight stknight at ultralifebatteries.com
Mon Nov 3 16:29:24 EST 2003

Scott Bennyhoff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to get some help for a very basic level programmer?
> This may seem basic, but its beyond me for the moment.
>
> I have started to use a another extension (Macro Editor) and have
> found it very interesting to use.  With help from that author, I have
> been able to make javascript programs that I can use to go through
> the document model and list on an alert window every part of the
> displayed web page.  However, now I would like to extend this
> capability by using javascript to write this output to a file for
> storage.
>
> First, can JSLIB work in conjunction with this other extension to
> give it the ability to have file I/O?  I have seen code examples on
> this site for JSLIB, but they all seem to be written for XUL, or at
> least a part is.
>
> I have tried installing the JSLIB.JAR production install to work with
> Firebird.  Based on the installation instructions, I was able to view
> the JSLIB splash screen (using the URL chrome://jslib/content/).  I
> have also extracted the files out of the installed JAR file, so all
> the files are now visible on my computer.
>
> After this I have tried using the macro editor to load the I/O files,
> with no luck.  Here is a basic example I have done:
>
> alert('Start of Macro 6');
> load('chrome/jslib/jslib.js');
> alert('jslib has loaded successfully!');
>
> The first alert runs, but the second alert never runs.  I've tried
> different permutations on the load command with no luck too.  I can
> view and open the jslib.js file, so that seems right.
>
> Can someone direct me in the right direction?

I'm not familiar with "load" in your context, so have you tried:
<script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://jslib/content/jslib.js" />

in your markup-language?

if that works, then after that you should be able to use
include( chrome-filename );

and that will load in "chrome" based files (ie; other jslib files).  However, it doesn't appear
(qualifiers here) that "include" can load in non-chrome files.  You aren't limited to using
"include" to bring in jslib files but it does make it easier.

checkout the "[Jslib] example code that doesn't work for me..." discussion, which does provide a
working example via XUL.  One of the things you have to watch out for is security and the example
shows how to set that.

hope this helps.

--
Stephen Knight