[Jslib] Non-blocking sockets?

Rick Morris rmorris at mos.us
Tue Dec 2 11:21:45 EST 2003

Guys,

Guys, thanks so much for your help. I am trying to do something a little
unusual in Mozilla/Linux:

I have a backend daemon running in PHP (CLI mode), and Mozilla in the
frontend. I need for either side to be able to notify the other at any
time (it is a kiosk-style application). I seem to have the PHP side all
worked out, but for some reason, once I have done a socket read
(mySocket.read( mySocket.available() ) ) from Mozilla, I am blocked from
making any writes for about 120 seconds or more, even though I know I
have read all incoming data, and the PHP daemon is not writing any new data.

The backend is cycling through a While loop checking for available
socket data from the Moz frontend. And, in the frontend I use
setInterval('mySocketChecker()', 250) -- thus checking for incoming data
4 times a second. When I want to send a message _from_ frontend to
backend, I stop the socket checker, perform a socket.write, and then
start the checker again.

It seems to me that this should work with blocking or non-blocking
sockets in Mozilla.

Maybe I am missing something -- I have my socket set to non-blocking on
the PHP/daemon side. Will that cause problems if the Mozilla sockets are
blocking? (notification from backend->frontend seems to work fine, I am
just getting delays sending notification from frontend->backend). Can a
socket be non-blocking on one side and blocking on the other? It seems I
get the same behavior whether I set var openFlags = 0 (from Pete's
comment) or not.

Here is the Jslib-based code I am using:

/* assume socket object "gSocket" initialized based on socket.xul
example in JSlib "samples" directory  --*/

function golisten()
{
   if(socketData = gSocket.read( gSocket.available() ))
   {
        try
       {
           eval(socketData);
       }
       catch(ex)
       {
           statusMsg = document.getElementById( "statusMsg" );
           statusMsg.value = ex;
       }
   }
}

function listenSocket( )
{
    listenID = setInterval('golisten()', 250);
}

function unlistenSocket(  )
{
    clearInterval(listenID);
}

Whenever I try gSocket.write(msgText + "\n"), I get no error response
(using try-catch), and an unpredictable delay in actual sending.

I would appreciate any comments/corrections/(you're just plain
crazy)/input, thanks. (the continued chronicles of a former web app
developer attempting to become Unix systems programmer...).

Also, I have been scouring Mozdev and the web looking for more
documentation of the Jslib socket library, and come up pretty much
emptyhanded. I will be glad to write some documentation/examples based
on what I am doing, if successful ;-).

Regards,

--
Rick Morris