[Greasemonkey] Trixie: Greasemonkey for IE

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:11:09 EDT 2005

> http://www.bhelpuri.net/Trixie/Trixie.htm

Initial thoughts:
- Neither the web site nor the application itself have any licensing
or copyright information.  As there is no visible source code link, so
I assume that the entire application and all of the author's
pre-installed scripts are under a strict copyright.
- Speaking of authors, I can not find any contact information on the
author, not even a name.  The domain was registered on August 7, 2004
to a Kaushik Sridharan <skaushik at hotmail.com>.  I would guess that
this is also the author, given the plethora of Hotmail-specific
scripts that come with the application.  And because he included an
@author tag in this script:
http://www.bhelpuri.net/Trixie/Scripts/HotmailPreviewer.user.js
- I would also point out that the domain was registered to a street
address less than four miles from Microsoft headquarters:
http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=0.049500,0.088117&saddr=8935+160th+Ave+NE+redmond+wa&daddr=1+Microsoft+Way,+Redmond,+WA+98052
- Speaking of scripts, the application comes with nine scripts
pre-installed, although two are disabled by default (including a
stripped down version of my Butler script).  This means that Trixie
adds significant default behaviors to several sites.  Early versions
of Greasemonkey did this, but not to this extent, and current versions
of Greasemonkey do not come with any scripts pre-installed.
- Speaking of Butler, the derivative script that comes with Trixie
(also posted here:
http://www.bhelpuri.net/Trixie/Scripts/RemoveGoogleAds.user.js ) does
not have any licensing information, in violation of the GPL.  I don't
believe that shipping a GPL user script with the application
necessitates licensing the entire application under the GPL, since it
is very loosely "linked" (simply deleting the script does not affect
the application), but the script itself is most definitely required to
be licensed under the GPL.
- The Trixie script repository
<http://www.bhelpuri.net/Trixie/Scripts.htm> is not editable.  "If you
have a Greasemonkey script that will work on IE/Trixie, send us mail
(trixie at bhelpuri.net) with the url to your script and we will add it
here."
- Despite meeting all the prerequisites, it doesn't actually work on
my system.  Web pages that should be affected by the pre-installed
scripts do not appear to be changed in any way.  I get a "Trixie
options" item in the IE Tools menu, but nothing happens when I select
it.
- On the bright side, it does not appear to install any spyware
(tested with Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware).

Filed under: things that don't work that people will constantly ask me about

-Mark