[Greasemonkey] HTML email

Bill Donnelly donnelly at snowcrest.net
Mon Aug 29 21:52:48 EDT 2005

I had this discussion with someone on the list recently.
This is part of my reply.

I originally sent posts to this List as plain text, but it looked like
most others weren't bothering, so I stopped. (and I was mostly
doing it for display in the List Archives, not for List members,
but this List program is so archaic that it really needs to be
upgraded or replaced -- I believe an upgrade to a decent/modern
software version has been in the works for years) In the old daze,
it was more important for some lists to use plain text, but this is
the 21st century, +/-, and rich text email is (or should be) the norm at
this point.

I am also aware of the, imo, old-style, arguments about why
list emails (among others, newsgroups, etc.) "should" be sent
as plain text as some form of archaic (imo) "netiquette".
(and some say ALL emails should be plain text)

(as merely one example (among (too) MANY), the 'article'
"7 reasons why HTML e-mail is EVIL!!!" -- which was written
circa 2000, and was probably past-it's-time even then -- and
probably written by a *nix user and/or someone with a slow
computer and/or possibly someone using Outlook\express or
some other MS-evil buggy/exploitable product)

Part of the "problem" is putting the onus on the sender of the
email rather than the receiver. (which is the current method, afaik)
What email programs really need is a "filter", of sorts, perhaps
for lack of a better name, that the user can turn on to have their
received emails 'converted' to plain text if they are in a non-plain text
format. (and/or throw out the non-plain text parts for html and plain
text format emails)

I don't know of any email clients that offer this functionality, but it is
sorely missing (if you will, I suppose) for those who only want to
receive plain text email. This would actually be a very nice Thunderbird
extension for those who want this feature. (maybe there is one available
already -- fyi, it should also ideally be selectable for action based
on sender and/or mail folder) (I was informed Tbird does already do this)

I think I send my emails as palin text and HTML, which I think is the way
they should be sent for people who like text. If your email client is
halfway decent, it should be able to show only the text version, I think.

Anyway, is there an 'official'/suggested or generally requested email
format for this list?

You know how I'm voting.

--
Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
When that happens, those good people should