[Greasemonkey] Unix Editing ...

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 19:16:24 EDT 2005

On 8/28/05, Nikolas Coukouma <lists at atrus.org> wrote:

> The current behavior is consistent across all platforms: GUI editors
> work and command-line ones do not.
> The only difference is that command-line editors are more popular in
> *nix. You can run vim under OS X and Windows, too, and you'll have the
> exact same problem.
>
> Defaulting to launching a terminal with the program isn't great because
> if you choose a GUI program then you'll get a terminal and the editor
> window, and then have to suspend, background, and disown the process to
> close the terminal. I don't know of a way to detect whether a program
> expects a terminal or not. There's also the issue of having two
> procedures for launching programs (one for *nix and Windows, the other
> for OS X).
>
> Yeah, this sucks. The best solution I have right now is detecting that
> the platform is *nix and adding "how to use a shell script workaround"
> to the dialog. Again, I'll see if I can get processes fixed in Deer Park
> so that we can do something easier.

Yeah, I'm always forgetting about xemacs or gvim or whatever which would,
I'm guessing, work just fine in the current implementation. Since the script
works so cleanly, and since it's only needed by the sorts of people who
expect to be doing work in a term, on reflection it doesn't seem too onerous
to point them at this fix.