[Greasemonkey] Unix Editing ...

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 20:36:51 EDT 2005

On 8/27/05, esquifit <esquifit at yahoo.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:43:17PM -0400, Nikolas Coukouma wrote:
> >
> > I can tell you that you want to launch the command-line program in a
> > console. For example:
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e /usr/bin/vi
> > The problem here is that the command-line options might not work with
> > the current MIMEInfo hack ... if it doesn't, we'll end up with two
>
> The usual way to go around the problem of command-line options not being
> supported is making an optionless script:
>
> 1) Create a (ba)sh script consisting of only two lines:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/bin/X11/xterm -e /usr/bin/vim $*
>
> (you'll probably need to change the paths to xterm,vi(m),(ba)sh to those
> in
> your system)
>
> 2) Give the file a name, say 'xvim', and save it in a directory in
> your PATH; make the file executable:
>
> chmod +x <a dir in your path>/xvim
>
> Now you'll be able to use xvim as if it were (an it *is) a
> full-fledged GUI editor, not only in FF but in any other app. that
> requires one.

Yes, see the other nearby thread similarly named. And though tossing off a
bash script isn't a very high hurdle for many *nix users, it would be nice
if greasemonkey could transparently function identically across platforms.
The question is, how to integrate the xterm (or whatever term) into the call
to the helper application. Because the GM edit button successfully launches
an editor process once it has the path, the process has no term to live in
by default.

This works fine for me.

Works for me, too!:
#!/bin/bash