[Greasemonkey] Unix Editing ...

esquifit esquifit at yahoo.de
Sun Aug 28 02:06:57 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:43:17PM -0400, Nikolas Coukouma wrote:

> I can tell you that you want to launch the command-line program in a
> console. For example:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e /usr/bin/vi
> The problem here is that the command-line options might not work with
> the current MIMEInfo hack ... if it doesn't, we'll end up with two

The usual way to go around the problem of command-line options not being
supported is making an optionless script:

1) Create a (ba)sh script consisting of only two lines:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/X11/xterm -e /usr/bin/vim $*

(you'll probably need to change the paths to xterm,vi(m),(ba)sh to those in
your system)

2) Give the file a name, say 'xvim', and save it in a directory in
your PATH; make the file executable:

chmod +x <a dir in your path>/xvim

Now you'll be able to use xvim as if it were (an it *is) a
full-fledged GUI editor, not only in FF but in any other app. that
requires one.

This works fine for me.