[Greasemonkey] Unix Editing ...

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 00:47:55 EDT 2005

On 8/26/05, n_powell <nathan at lagerbottom.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 11:16:05PM -0400 thus spake chris feldmann:
> > xterm, but not an rxvt-unicode term, which blinks briefly into existence
>
> Are you using an rxvt compatible terminal? What are you passing
> exactly? Just out of curiosity.

The call in the script was:
/usr/bin/urxvt -e "/usr/bin/vim $1"

As to answering your specific question, well, I don't know. This terminal
gives me problems on some hosts.
For instance, logged into dreamhost:

[guilder]$ vim index.php | less
Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
- (press RETURN)
Terminal entry not found in terminfo
'rxvt-unicode' not known. Available builtin terminals are:
builtin_ansi
builtin_xterm
builtin_iris-ansi
builtin_dumb
defaulting to 'ansi'

Then it opens the file, but I can't actually edit it. Not sure if this is
what you were getting at. Frankly, I'm still confused about most internal
aspects of unicode encoding; I just try to use it whenever I can, because
otherwise I often find I have to translate to it. Hence the unicode
terminal. On the other hand, I also often have to translate to 8859-1
because some program or another balks on unicode. Did I mention I'm over my
head here? Here's the term program as it appears in portage, whence I gots
it:

* x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
Latest version available: 4.0
Latest version installed: 4.0