[Greasemonkey] Google question

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Tue Aug 23 00:05:28 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Dunck

I think the news is that they're rewriting on mousedown.  They've had
self-referencing serps for a long time, which then redirected to the
actual result.  I'm not sure what would have motivated them to go to
mousedown, since it doesn't allow you to copy the original url or
anything else useful.

[Michael Bierman] The mousedown approach is exactly what the blogger I
referenced found so insidious and it bothered me too.  When you mouseover the
link you see the actual link...but then they rewrite it on mousedown.  If one
assumes Google are as benevolent as they claim Perhaps their thinking was that
this way people can see the actual link they are going to without all the
irrelevant google stuff when they mouse over a link.  And that is nice.
Rewriting it onmouseclick allows them to give a better experience to users
without sacrificing the functionality they wanted to introduce (I'm not actually
sure what the purpose of their redirection script is.)  Now if you don't think
Google is as pure as they claim, this was clearly a way to try to hide what they
were doing so as not to have people think they were up to something--even if
they weren't doing anything terribly upsetting.  Now that the cat is out of the
bag, I would strongly recommend that Google explain the purpose of the
redirects, and clarify if they are anonymous or not.

Michael