[Greasemonkey] somebody got too much time on his hand? try this. (was Re: Hooking into Gmail)

Nikolas Coukouma lists at atrus.org
Mon Aug 22 15:04:06 EDT 2005

Stephan Walter wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Here is something I wanted to implement, but never quite had the
> time, but maybe someone else finds the idea interesting:
>
> In 3 words: PGP for Gmail
>
> In detail: Implement PGP in Javascript. Much work has already been
> done, see http://www.hanewin.de/encrypt/main.htm This is for
> encryption, so one would have to write the decryption and the key
> handling code. And then you'd have to hack it into the Gmail
> interface, but there is already a lot of stuff being done about
> that.
>
> Keys of other people could be fetched from a keyserver with an
> xmlhttprequest and then stored in the contact list. One problem
> would be storing one's own private key securely...
>
> What do you think about it? Possible? (don't tell me it would be
> hard, I can guess that much :-)
>
> Cheers, Stephan

I've already done some work on it. For now, it's on the back burner
somewhere. Simply finding all the relevant standards[1] was a
challenge. I want easy, cross-browser form signing, so it does need to
be completely in JS.

As someone mentioned elsewhere, you could easily write a GPG-based[2]
extension. This is the approach taken by Enigmail[3] (PGP for
Thunderbird and Seamonkey). Enigmail is pretty complicated, but I
think you could get away with something simpler.

[1] http://hacks.atrus.org/JS-PGP/standards/
[2] http://www.gnupg.org/
[3] http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

-Nikolas