[Greasemonkey] Ungreaseable

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:01:28 EDT 2005

On 8/18/05, Nikolas Coukouma <lists at atrus.org> wrote:
> Mark Pilgrim wrote:
>
> >Following up on my earlier ramblings about "monkey-protected" pages,
> >it disturbs me greatly that this simple script is all you need to
> >counteract any Greasemonkey scripts on a page:

So, um, this is the arms race I was talking about.  Aaron says there's
no arms race because the web is loosely coupled and we can do whatever
we want before rendering, and that's true in a theorhetical sense, but
it's outside GM's current capability.

Nik says override innerHTML, yeah, that works in this instance but
there's always n+1 to worry about.

Earlier injection (a la proxy) is the only way to win, AFAIK, but
we're not there.  So GM can be broken.  There are other ways, too.