[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey and GMail

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:17:46 EDT 2005

On 8/18/05, Ted Mielczarek <ted.mielczarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/18/05, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Gmail might "know" what's happening if, for instance, the server side
> > > notices an unusually high volume of calls; it also has
> > > integrity-checking code of some sort (e.g., from the source, "Arrgh!
> > > The page has been corrupted. If you are running security or firewall
> > > software, you may have to disable it.") which might call home and
> > > throw up a flag if tripped too many times.
> >
> > That was more or less my question.  What does the other side "see"
> > when a Greasemonkey script is active and diddling the page?  I assume
> > that will depend upon the script in question.
>
> This is pretty well off the mark.  While you could theoretically
> integrity-check your DOM and thus catch greasemonkey modifications, I
> can't fathom an easy way to do it.  The only thing a remote host would
> see as a result of your GM script would be extra server accesses.
> Google is throwing up this error because a broken script is hitting
> their server excessively.

Like I said, it depends on the script in question.  One of them is
hammering GMail's server with excess accesses.  I would expect the
originating server to be aware of that.  But since the content is
being rendered locally on my machine by my browser, I don't offhand
see a way the remote server would know it was being altered after
receipt but before display.  Wondering whether there *was* a way for
the remote server to be aware Greasemonkey was at work was what
prompted my question.  If all it can really see is excess accesses
from a broken script, I'm relieved.

> -Ted
______
Dennis